Friday, January 06, 2006

My First Real Post: Are we "all One?"

I actually thought that when I got ready to write my first real post it would be about sex and what I'm all about, which is sexual transformation. It may end up being so, but right now that's not what's really on my mind.

I just got back from the movies with one of my dearest friends, Damen. Damen and I got to movies, plays, concerts, Las Vegas and do all kinds of fun things together. He's one of my best friends in the world. Anyway, I digress. The movie we went to was "One, The Movie" An amazingly complex but also simple film. It asks a lot of questions of a lot of people. Well-known enlightened people like Deepak Chopra, Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee, Ram Dass, Thich Nhat Hahn and Robert Thurman (to just name a few) and lesser known and unknown people that the film producers met on their journey, including one of the more profound, a young homeless boy named Chris Willis. Some of the questions they asked were: What happens to you after you die? Describe God. What is the meaning of life? What is your one wish for the world? Are we "all one"?

It's the last question that really touched and moved me. I came away from the film with a sense of sadness and grief and the realization that we are all One. You may think that realizing we are "one" would be a cause for celebration not sadness. But the reality is, if I truly believe this (and I do) then I'm not only one with those that I love and admire, but also those that I fear and despise. Those that would harm me and that hate all that I stand for as much as I hate what they stand for. The thought of being one with someone like, George Bush for example shakes me. And it means that I must deal with the world around me with love and compassion because that is how I strive to deal with those who I care for and how I want to be dealt with. Knowing that we are all one gives me a huge responsibility about how I walk in this world; how I accomplish the work that I have set out to do.

I'm a sex activist and a transformer. I am the possibility of transformation of humanity in the world of sexuality. I realize that I can't "fight" for transformation, but that I must "love" for transformation. (hey, I brought this around to sex after all). While I am not perfect and I know that I will at times be tempted to fight and argue and come from a place of self-righteousness and anger, I promise that when I get there or when someone tells me that I'm there, I'll get off it. Immediately. My stand is one of love and sex and fun and joy and pleasure. I hope that through this blog I can take you there, along with me. On my journey toward being "One".

Allena

No comments: