Friday, June 23, 2006

Happy Solstice!

Well, actually Happy Day After Solstice.

I'm writing this from a small coffee shop in Cle Elum, Washington. Cle Elum is a small town barely east of the Cascades with a population of 1700+ and and elevation of 1900+. The coffee shop, Pioneer Coffee is obviously the happening place in Cle Elum. A mixture of old and young hippies, housewives, farmers and local business men and the odd young tattooed cutie that would look more in place on Capitol Hill. It also has great coffee!

Why am I here?

Every year, for the last 9, I've been the caterer for the Women's Summer Solstice weekend. 120-150 pagan women of all types join to celebrate Summer Solstice, and I've (along with my amazing crew) have had the great honor of feeding them.

I got this gig when I had my cafe and have continued in spite of no longer being in the food business. It's not only my way of staying in touch with my chef side, but also nurturing my need to give back by providing food to people.

Someday I'll tell you more about this (I hate my laptop keyboard) but mostly I just wanted to wish you all a Happy Solstice.

Allena

No comments: